The Mathematics Program at Edward Waters College seeks to prepare students to have a strong background in the skills of logic, reasoning, critical thinking, and technology such that upon graduation they can matriculate successfully and competitively in graduate school or industry.
Mathematics Program Goals
- To provide all undergraduate students at Edward Waters College with an education in mathematics. This will serve as part of a foundation for lifelong learning of science, engineering, and mathematics.
- To graduate mathematics majors who have become liberally educated and are prepared for a mathematically based career.
- To continue to build an excellent undergraduate mathematics program along with Dual Degree Engineering Program affiliated with Florida A & M University, Florida State University, and University of Central Florida.
- To provide incoming freshman and transfer students with a smooth transition to college.
- To continue to have good relationships with other departments and programs.
Mathematics Program Objectives
The curriculum in Mathematics is designed, in general, to prepare students for employment, for graduate studies, and for productive lives which require quantitative reasoning and computation. Specific objectives are:
- To provide specific courses designed for students who plan to become teachers of Mathematics at the secondary school level.
- To provide specific courses and experiences for students who intend to pursue graduate study in Mathematics or other courses of study which require comprehensive Mathematics skills.
- To provide training careers in the marketable areas of business and industry which require Mathematic skills.
- To provide strong mathematical background for students who wants to enter in the Dual Degree Engineering Program.
- To increase the number of students who major in mathematics and continuously improve the program's curriculum.
- To support each faculty member's need for professional development fund to enhance teaching skills.