Focused Academic Motivating Excellence (FAME)
Ms. Gladys Clay
Director of FAME
Polly Brooks Building, Office 210
The mission of the Focused Academic Motivating Excellence (FAME) program is to promote cognitive and effective growth of students in order to prepare them for college-level work. FAME is designed to assist academically under-prepared students to increase their proficiency levels in the areas of English/writing, reading/study skills, and mathematics. Program placement is based on a college-level readiness screening test (ACT/SAT/CPT). This program is also designed to appeal directly to the multicultural students by using the language and idioms that are a part of their specific culture. Within the Christian atmosphere of the college, students will learn how to succeed not only academically, but also spiritually.
- To provide academic direction to students so they can become and remain academically successful.
- To increase course completion rates of students.
- To increase the retention and graduation rate of students enrolled in two or more developmental courses.
- Conduct activities that will offer early exposure to academic expectations.
- Assess academic skills and place students in appropriate courses.
- Provide strong academic advising and academic counseling to students.
- Design and administer an Academic Enrichment Services Participation Agreement for students.
- Develop an assessment plan.
- Collaborate with faculty in referring students, in monitoring students, and in reporting academic progress.
- Initiate a required study hall for all FAME students.
- Implement a peer mentoring and peer tutoring programs to provide one-on-one support for FAME students.
- Understand the instructional architecture, content, and learning activities from the instructor's and the learner's perspectives.
- Implement and use the product in the program or classroom.
- Navigate the lesson structure, features, and tools.
- Use online and offline tests, if applicable.
- Use the reporting resources.
- Design a learner orientation.
FAME also provides peer tutoring and peer mentoring not only to FAME students but to the entire student body.