Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy

Financial aid recipients at Edward Waters College are required to be making satisfactory academic progress toward their degree program in order to continue to receive financial aid.  Below is the EWC Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy.  For a complete version of the policy, that includes remedial, transfer and repeat coursework, please visit the Office of Financial Aid:

Qualitative and Quantitative Satisfactory Academic Progress & Eligibility for Financial Assistance

Title IV of the 1992 Higher Education Amendments requires that institutions establish a minimum standard of "Satisfactory Progress" for students. A minimum standard for "Satisfactory Academic Progress" (SAP) is defined as follows:
SAP is a measure of whether a student is progressing adequately toward completion of his or her course of study. It is determined in terms of grade point average and course completions. For a student to be eligible for Federal student aid they must meet the below qualitative and quantitative academic requirements.

Current law requires a student to maintain satisfactory academic progress in the course of study he or she is pursuing according to the standards and practices of the institution.  EWC’s Financial Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy complies with all Federal and State requirements and is as strict or may be more strict than the college’s Academic Progress Policy.

Students that receive financial assistance at EWC of any type (federal, state, institutional, or outside scholarships/grants) must demonstrate both qualitative and quantitative satisfactory academic progress toward a degree. At the end of the spring semester of each academic year, the Financial Aid Office evaluates the qualitative and quantitative academic progress of each student receiving financial assistance. This evaluation determines a student’s eligibility to receive financial assistance in the next academic year.

In addition, at the end of both the fall and spring semesters, the
Office of Academic Records and Advisement reviews the qualitative academic progress of all degree-seeking students to determine the eligibility for continued enrollment at EWC.

The satisfactory academic progress standards applicable to students receiving federal assistance are equal to those standards applicable to students receiving only institutional assistance. On the other hand, the standards applicable to students receiving state awards are prescribed both by the individual states funding those awards and by the institution.  In determining whether or not an undergraduate student is making satisfactory academic progress in order to continue to receive financial assistance, the following factors are considered:

A course withdrawal, a course repetition, a course incomplete, and a noncredit course are counted in the total credits hours attempted; however, a remedial course for which no credit is awarded but that is successfully passed is not counted as credit hours completed/earned for financial assistance eligibility purposes. Credit hours forgiven under EWC’s Academic Policy for bankruptcy will not count as hours attempted if the student granted bankruptcy earns a 2.0 GPA by the end of the academic year in which the bankruptcy was granted. However, federal student aid program regulations make no provision for the concept of academic bankruptcy. For financial aid purposes,
EWC must always include courses applicable toward a student’s degree and academic progress.

Definition of completed/earned credit hour at EWC: If a student enrolls in a one credit hour course outside the major(s)/minor(s) field of study, the student must receive a passing grade of “A,” “B,” “C,” or “D,” to complete/earn the one credit hour attempted. To complete/earn the same one credit hour attempted within the major(s)/minor(s), the student must receive a grade of “A,” “B,” “C” and “D.”  Students with an F, W or other related failing mark are considered non-passing grades.

Frequency of Monitoring and Evaluation

Edward Waters College will review a student's progress at the end of each academic year. For this purpose, the Edward Waters College academic year is defined as the following:

Two traditional semesters of 15-16 weeks of course work occurring between August 1 and May 31. Term-based CLIMB programs are evaluated at the completion of the second term.

At the end of the Spring semester (end of academic year), the Financial Aid Office  will determine whether or not a financial aid recipient is making Satisfactory Academic Progress toward their degree and is thus qualified to receive financial aid for the next academic year. A student's progress is measured both qualitatively and quantitatively.

Courses taken during summer school (and accepted by Edward Waters College if taken at another school) may be included in determining satisfactory progress for the next term; but the student must make sure that the Financial Aid Office receives a copy of the record of courses taken and the grades received. If the removals of an incomplete grade ("I") makes the student eligible, the student must make sure that the Financial Aid Office is informed of the removal of the incomplete grade.

Qualitative Progress

Qualitative progress is measured in terms of grade points earned during the preceding semester, which are computed on a 4.00 grading system. Edward Waters College standards for maintaining qualitative progress are as follows:

Students who have attempted between 1 – 29 credit hours must have a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 1.75 or will be placed on financial aid suspension.  Students on suspension must visit with their faculty advisor or the Academic Advising Office and prepare an academic plan. 

Students who have attempted 30 or more credit hours must have a cumulative 2.0 GPA or higher or they will be placed on financial aid suspension. Students with a GPA 2.0 and above are considered in good academic standing.

Students who have been suspended and want to continue to receive financial aid must complete an appeal to the Office of Financial Aid for review.  If the appeal is granted, the student will be placed on probation for the term.  During the probation term, the student must complete all coursework attempted with a 2.0 term GPA in order to continue to receive financial aid for subsequent terms.

Quantitative Progress

Quantitative progress is measured in terms of attempted hours against earned hours. Financial aid recipients must successfully complete 67 percent or higher of their attempted academic year hours/courses to be in good standing. Students below 67 percent are placed on financial aid suspension and must appeal in order to continue to receive financial aid.

Students are allowed a maximum of 150 percent of their degree credit hour requirements to complete their degree. Students that do not obtain a degree prior to reaching 150 percent of attempted coursework will be placed on financial aid suspension.  Students on suspension may appeal their status by completing the appeal procedures.

Transfer credits accepted toward the student’s degree requirements will be considered in the students’ quantitative measurement.

Satisfactory Academic Progress Notification

Financial aid recipients placed on SAP suspension will be notified in writing at the end of the academic year (Spring Semester) once all grades are posted.  Students will receive a letter explaining the reason(s) for their suspension and will be provided instructions on the SAP appeal process.