Reporting directly to the Vice President for Institutional Advancement, Development, Marketing and Communications the Director of Communications, Marketing and University Relations is responsible for the overall marketing and communication of those programs that interpret the mission of the College to its multiple constituencies, both internal and external, in order to create a climate of public and private support for the fulfillment of that mission.
The Director of Communications, Marketing and College Relations provides recommendations on policy and action in the management of issues and crisis affecting the college, including media relations.
He/She provides oversight and coordination for the areas within the area of Institutional Advancement, including Public Information and Publications in partnership with the Director of Creative Services/Graphic Design.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists the Vice President for Institutional Advancement, Development, Marketing and Communications on University-wide concerns at the request of the President and provides counsel and advice on major public relations issues.
- Manages Public Information and Publications for the College.
- In partnership with the Director of Creative Services/Graphic Design develops a public relations and marketing program which supports and advances the comprehensive College constituencies among its various constituents.
- Provides direction and counsel for the administration of the University’s graphics and communications program, and oversees an external communication program to ensure that standards of high quality are maintained in partnership with the Director of Creative Services/Graphic Design.
- Develops and implements the campus’s media relations for print and broadcast media at the local, state and national levels in consultation with the Vice President for Institutional Advancement, Development, Marketing and Communications.
- Working with department chairs, faculty and administration, assess their public relations needs and develops and implements programs accordingly to meet those needs;
- Develop and implement a strategic marketing program in partnership with the Director of Creative Services/Graphic Design.
- Coordinates media strategy in support of the University’s development efforts.
- Develops a program of internal communication for the College.
- Composes, edits, and manages the production of a full range of material to effectively support the goals of the Institution and to convey the Institution’s mission to diverse constituencies.
- Responsible for coordinating and managing the development and production of communications materials for all Development. In this capacity, the incumbent works closely with institution senior management and with unit directors and Development staff in developing communications materials, proposals, and presentations materials to insure the efficient pursuit of private funding.
- Oversees and writes or edits Development documents including: fundraising proposals to individuals, foundations and corporations; fund-raising publications; communications materials, such as press releases, cultivation, solicitation and acknowledgment letters. Documents present official Institutional policy and definitive statements of fundraising opportunities to a variety of external audiences including Board, major donors and prospects, members, corporations and foundations and the general public.
- Oversees and writes speeches and develops advancement position papers for senior management.
- The Director of Communications, Marketing and College Relations oversees production from draft creation through distribution of final product. Executes, supervises or manages elements including: article/topic selection, research, contract writing/editing, vendor deliverables — from page proofs and blue lines to mail house operations
- The Director of Communications, Marketing and College Relations participates in working groups to plan, coordinate and execute original communications products and publications related to special events and programs. Develops content for information brochures; reviews and edits drafts of correspondence, reports, and brochures for mass distribution; drafts articles and reports on the status of major initiatives for distribution to members, prospects, the general public, volunteer support groups, and special interest groups.
- Edits and prepares manuscripts on two levels: (1) copy editing (employing skills that assure consistency and accuracy within a manuscript regarding grammar, punctuation, syntax, and acceptable institution style); and (2) substantive editing, requiring critical sense and intuitive evaluation of factual accuracy and consistency of information – chronology of events, overall consistency of subject matter; verification of facts, rearrangement or deletion of material, analysis of data, and evaluation of documentation as to accuracy and thoroughness.
CONSEQUENCES OF ERROR:
This position has responsibilities for working with the College Leadership Team and other key stakeholders to develop and implement marketing and communications strategies and approaches. Poor leadership, inappropriate procedures, incorrect information, lack of foresight or diplomacy could adversely affect relations with the organization’s stakeholders, cause embarrassment to the organization and its senior officials and volunteers or result in a loss of credibility.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
- University graduate in business, marketing, communications or an equivalent combination of education, training and expertise.
- Individual must possess a minimum of five years combined senior management and communications experience in an organization involving a significant number of people with diverse and varied interests and backgrounds.
- Experience must include strategic planning, communications planning and management, marketing and media relations.
Individual must be a strong communicator, have excellent written, presentation, oral communications and interpersonal skills. Individual must possess strong leadership skills, be able to motivate and influence others. Individual must be able to think creatively and strategically, have excellent judgment and be able to work in a changing environment.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume and writing sample to Dr. DeShanna Brown, Vice President for Institutional Advancement, Development, Marketing, and Communications via email at email@example.com.