The Facilities Management team provided by Sodexo, Inc. at Edward Waters College plays a vital role in ensuring a clean environment to enhance the health and safety of the college community. In addition to the environmental services conducted by the facilities staff, all College stakeholders also play an essential role in helping to maintain a clean campus environment.
As an institution of higher education, the EWC will collaborate and coordinate work with local health departments in slowing the spread of disease while protecting students, staff, and faculty, ensuring a safe and healthy learning environment.
Thus, Edward Waters College is taking precautionary steps to minimize the introduction and spread of COVID-19 into the college community that includes the residential halls, classrooms, academic buildings, and office areas.
Relatedly, EWC has taken additional steps to ensure the health and well-being of its campus community. Accordingly, as of May 20, 2020 the COVID-19 campus operations re-engineering task force has been developing a comprehensive resumption of in-person on campus operation plan for Fall 2020. The plan in part includes a new campus wide “deep cleaning” protocol. This deep cleaning may include the disinfecting of spaces by a third-party vendor using specialized teams equipped with appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) gear, that includes, but is not limited to masks and hazmat suits. Furthermore, as a result of COVID-19, EWC has been forced to embrace new cleaning strategies to provide critical protection for students, faculty, and staff. As such, the college is currently in discussion with a third-party vendor for increased campus sanitization and disinfection. Additionally, this level of cleaning will include the use of virucides – chemicals capable of killing a virus – and fogging equipment.
Summarily, deep cleaning of the facilities at Edward Waters College will remain consistently ongoing and include the following:
- All glass entrances are to be cleaned using a disinfectant solution containing QC-50.
- All furniture and other hard surfaces are to be cleaned using a Peroxide based multi-surface cleaner and disinfectant. Additional disinfectant misting with an Ecolab Rayburn Fog Master Junior, which meets CDC guidelines, will be used.
- All bathrooms are being cleaned and sanitized with a bathroom solution containing a QC-73 acid.
- Other areas to receive continuous cleaning are those high-touch, high-traffic, and high-dusting (i.e. above the window) areas; all doorknobs and handles; and the regular mopping/sweeping/and or vacuuming of floors. Floor cleaner solution will contain an A456-2 disinfectant which meets CDC guidelines.
- Please be advised that Sodexo will need to access offices, so employees need to be prepared to provide access if they do not have keys to your area. To contact cleaning facilities directly, please email email@example.com or call 904-470-8164.
Further, the EWC facilities team will increase cleaning frequencies in buildings campus-wide and improve efficiency and effectiveness of microbial cleaning by using a Peroxide multi-surface cleaner and disinfectant. Ecolab, the provider of the product, has set the 6 ounces per gallon dilution requirement to ensure the 45 second kill time necessary to fight the COVID-19 virus within the EPA regulation guidelines.
During the transition back to campus, it is imperative that all staff actively commit to adhering to the new processesthat will be implemented to ensure the safety and well-being for one another, our families and our communities.
Regarding cleaning protocols, the schedule for cleaning EWC facilities was previously twice (morning and afternoon) per day, and one custodial professional rotated between multiple buildings. The cleaning protocols at that time included the bathrooms, common areas, and high touch areas. However, to increase cleaning protocols throughout the campus post-COVID-19, the college has expanded its cleaning services frequencies and protocols to include the designation of at least one Sodexo custodial professional assigned full-time to each on-campus building (residential halls; academic, office, and activities buildings). The custodial professional is scheduled to clean their assigned building continually throughout day, Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. However, EWC residential halls will be cleaned three times a day, Monday through Sunday, starting each morning at 7:30 a.m., during the afternoon at 1:00 p.m., and nightly at 7:30 p.m. by the campus facility management service provider. Cleaning protocols include all bathrooms, common areas, and high touch areas.
To protect the risk of exposure to the facilities team exposed to the virus and any effects of cleaning chemicals, all staff temperatures are tested daily before reporting to any facility on campus. Additionally, facilities staff must wear appropriate PPE for cleaning and disinfecting. Training will be provided on how to use products effectively. As changes occur – with federal, state, or local guidance – so will this plan to address specific circumstances due to COVID-19.
Further, the College will be researching a third-party vendor to assist with cleaning services during off-peak hours. However, a dedicated Sodexo custodial professional will be assigned to each on-campus building to ensure appropriate areas are cleaned in a timely manner, to include:
- Elevator buttons
- Sink and faucets
- Windowsills/High Dusting
- Light Switches
- Cabinets and doorknobs
- Vending machine
- Chair arms
- Copier/printer/control bottoms
- Sockets covers
- Hand sanitizer stations will be deployed in all common and high traffic areas in every building on campus and all floors along with all entrances near restrooms.
- The college has checked all of its systems with regards to HVAC and filters to increase the frequency changing of all filters to ensure that the air flow its flowing properly.
- For facilities that have been shut down for a prolonged period of time, ventilation and water systems will be checked for safety.
- Elevators – Special attention will be given to cleaning and disinfection of all elevator surfaces due to their heavy usage and confined area. All vertical surfaces including interior and exterior doors and control panels will be disinfected.