Dr. Lucy Chen
Office: (904) 470-8268
The Department of Music at Edward Waters College supports the mission and purpose of the College by serving as the primary cultural resource center for the arts. The Department of Music promotes the artistic and cultural development of our academic community by sponsoring numerous concerts, master classes, and programs on the local, state, and national levels throughout the academic year. The rewards of this exposure are numerous for our students, and include an exchange of a breadth of knowledge which includes academic enrichment within a liberal arts framework.
The mission of the Department of Music is twofold; first, to serve as the pre-eminent primary cultural ambassador for the arts in Jacksonville; secondly, to serve as the primary ambassadors of our College in both the local community and throughout the United States.
- Students who complete the Music component of the core curriculum will have a basic understanding of musical vocabulary and the evolution of musical styles throughout Western civilization.
- Music majors will demonstrate understanding of the music history and literature of Western civilization.
- Music majors will demonstrate an understanding of the theory and analytical techniques applicable to music of the common practice period.
- Music majors will demonstrate applied performance skills in conducting and one or more of these areas: solo voice performance, solo instrumental performance, and ensemble performance (instrumental or vocal). The minimum level of performance proficiency is determined by the degree the student is pursuing.
- To be knowledgeable of musical styles and literature from the medieval period to the present time, including but not limited to Western Music.
- To be able to demonstrate a working knowledge of fundamental music theory and harmony.
- To be able to perform on major instrument as specified by syllabi at each level of education.
- To have the ability to perform with other musicians in large or small ensembles as appropriate.
- To be conversant with the teaching and administration tasks and duties related to teaching students at the elementary and secondary level.
Edward Waters College Concert Series
The Edward Waters College Concert Series was created to expose students and the community to a variety of dynamic performances from high-caliber artists from throughout the world. It was also designed to motivate music students to enhance their performance skills and inspire habits of musical excellence. Additionally, the series serves to educate audiences of all generations on the importance of supporting music, locally and abroad, as part of a greater initiative of preserving and expanding the fine arts.
All EWC Concert Series events are free and open to the public. For locating Milne Auditorium, view the EWC Campus Map.