October 11, 2018 – 5:00AM ESTEdward Waters College will resume normal operations on Thursday, October 11, 2018.
October 10, 2018 – 3:50PM ESTDue to the impending weather, Edward Waters College will close at 4:30pm and all evening classes are cancelled.Please stay tuned to the local television news, social media, and Tiger Alerts for up to date information. We will resume normal business hours on Thursday, October 11.
October 10, 2018 – 1:12PM EST
Edward Waters College continues to monitor Hurricane Michael including communication from the City of Jacksonville Emergency Operations Center. At this time the College will continue to operate on a normal schedule. Jacksonville (Duval County) is expected to experience heavy rain and wind. Students are encouraged to sign up for Tiger Alerts in order to stay abreast of updates regarding the storm. If the direction of the storm changes, we will alert the campus community.
Storm Safety Tips for Students
In the event of an emergency, use these tips to stay safe:
- Notify your family where you will be for the duration of the storm. Remind them there is a possibility we could lose electricity, cell phone service, and local phones in the area. Let them know about website updates.
- Residential students should take measures to protect personal possessions that are left behind in rooms/apartments during a storm. Personal items should be moved away from windows and taken off the floor. Electronic equipment and important books and papers should be placed in plastic bags to prevent water damage. Electronically back-up all of your important data, separate from your machine, and shut off your computer(s) and related equipment. The College is not responsible for loss or damage of residents’ possessions.
- Valuables should be placed in safekeeping.
- All doors should be locked when the occupants are not in the room or apartment
- All windows must be closed tightly. All window blinds should be closed.
- Each student should provide his/her own flashlight in case of power failure. DO NOT USE CANDLES OR OTHER FLAME-TYPE LIGHTING UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES; FIRE IS UNCONTROLLABLE DURING A HURRICANE. Use battery-powered lighting only!
- ATMs may be unavailable.
- Fully charge cell phones, laptops, and any other battery powered items.
- Make sure you have an adequate supply of any prescription medications.
- If you have a bicycle on campus, make sure it is securely locked to a bicycle rack.
- Report all accidents, injuries, broken windows, or excessive water to Housing Staff.
- Before the storm, stock up on non-perishable food and water. More information is available from the Red Cross.
IMPORTANT PHONE NUMBERS
Campus Security (904) 470-8888
Residence Life & Housing On-Call (904) 447-3658