Return of Title IV

Return of Title IV

Federal student aid recipients that officially or unofficially withdrawal or cease attending all of their classes prior to 60% of the enrollment period may be subject to repayment to all or a portion of the Federal Pell Grant, Federal Student Loans and/or other Federal aid received. Below are questions and answers on how the Return of Title IV Refund is determined.

Withdrawals or Non-attendance

Official Withdrawals

Students who go through the formal process of withdrawing from all courses and providing the documentation to the registrar are considered as official withdrawal.  The date of withdrawal is the date the process was begun.

Unofficial Withdrawals

Students who stop attending all classes are considered unofficial withdrawals.  If you receive a combination of F, W and/or I, your professor will be asked to report your last date of attendance.  Based on this information, you may be required to repay the “unearned” portion of the federal aid.  If you received all F’s, W’s or I’s and you never attended, you are required to repay the full amount disbursed to you.



How do I avoid paying back my Federal  Financial Aid?
Keep attending your classes. If you receive a Federal Pell Grant , Federal SEOG or Federal  Direct Loans and then withdraw from ALL your classes or stop attending ALL your classes, you may have to repay all or a portion of that aid received. Once you have completed more than 60% of the semester, you have earned all of your assistance. If you withdraw from EWC before completing 60% of the semester, you will have to repay any unearned financial aid funds that were already disbursed to you.

What if I stop attending or withdraw from all my classes?
The College will calculate how much you must repay based on how many days you attended. You will be notified by the Financial Aid Office of how much you must repay. EWC must report any student that does not repay to the federal government at the end of 45 days. You will be ineligible to receive financial aid at ANY school until the funds are repaid in full.

How can I repay the funds I owe?
Students are responsible for the repayment. Payment must be made to the Student Accounts Office within 45 days. Once the debt has been reported to the federal government, the amount owed must be repaid to the Federal government and not to EWC.

What if I never attended?
Students who never attended are considered “No Shows.” These students are considered ineligible for financial aid, and 100% of the financial aid received must be repaid. In addition, if a student does not withdraw prior to the published drop date, they may owe 100% of their tuition and fee charges.

Official withdrawals must be processed through the Registrar’s Office. Students who fail to formally withdraw from classes prior to the published drop date (census date) will be held responsible for any tuition/fee charges and repayment of all financial aid for the term even if they did not attend.

Where does the repayment go?
For a return of Title IV refund, repayment returns back to the Federal Financial Aid program(s) that you received the aid from. Federal regulations require the college to return Federal funds in the following order:

  • Unsubsidized Direct Stafford Loan
  • Subsidized Direct Stafford Loan
  • Direct PLUS Loan
  • Federal Pell Grant
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant –FSEOG
  • Federal TEACH Grant
  • Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant